MD-102T Tube Tuner
MD-102 Tube Tuner
Built with the same precision aligned R.F. section found in the highly capable MD 102, we have added MD Reference 6922 tubes in the amplification stage of the audio section, providing audio realism and coloration for those customers with a special partiality for tube technology. With improving RF transmission equipment around the world, this Triode tuner, with its distinctive audio stage, allows you to experience FM as it was intended, with the full emotion and zeal with which the music was originally recorded. It is pure, unaltered, source audio. Our design team has taken careful consideration of the specific characteristics of the 6922 tubes, and selected all corresponding components accordingly. The result is a product with impressive specifications, and a collection of world-class components that work exceedingly well together. The MD 102T uses our proven RF design and includes a collection of improvements to our audio staging. This includes our unrelenting focus on a complete grounding circuit to eliminate any unwanted stray signals, and most importantly, a zero feedback design in the audio stage, ensuring the waveform is unaltered through the output circuit. It is a truly high-performance product, worthy of inclusion in any audiophile's audio system. The following is a list of the MD 102T's impressive design features:
RF & Audio Stage Dseign Featrues
- Tunable five stage ANALOG front end: Five stages of RF filtration, providing station separation without affecting stereo separation. As always, the front end is a custom designed and manufactured in-house design.
- Multiple Bandwidth Settings: The MD 102T offers both Ultra Wide and Narrow IF Bandwidth settings to produce the best SOUND where adjacent channel interference is, or is not a factor.
- Dual AGC (automatic gain control) stage: This automatic circuit design eliminates the need for a local and distant switch, altering the amount of relative gain that's added to the incoming signal.
- Auto Blend RF Circuit: Automatically monitors and adjusts stereo separation to maximize "stereo quieting", insuring the quietest stereo signal as possible. This greatly eliminates background noise.
- Precision tunable matched IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers: ensures consistent specifications for adjacent channel separation, alternate channel separation and low distortion
- Precision Voltage Stabilizers in the Power Supply: Ensures precise tuning of the incoming RF signal
- Dual Antenna Inputs: Provides the flexibility to position different antennas in multiple locations to accommodate differing incoming signals.
- Defeatable Mute: Eliminates any interstation noise while tuning
- Analog Meters: Functional and easy-to-read multipath/signal strength measurements, showcased through an analog meter.
- Fully shielded RF section-eliminates any interference from stray signals
- MD Reference 6922 Vacuum Tubes: Included in the audio amplification stage, our 6922 MD Reference Tubes are designed to our exacting standards and tested individually for specifications.
- .093 Thick Printed Circuit Board: A solid footing to minimizes any residual vibration in the chassis to allow all components to operate at peak performance. Further, all contact points are generously gold plated to ensure complete signal transfer over the long haul.
- Balanced Output with Gold Plated Neutrik Connectors: Fully complimentary circuit insures a perfectly balanced signal, and exact dimensions ensure maximum conductivity.
- Shielded Torroidal Transformer: Coupled with a high grade aluminum chassis, device is completely shielded from stray signals and transient noises. The high grade custom designed transformer reduces the overall noise floor of the tuner.
- AudioCap Capacitors: With Oxygen-free copper leads that are generously gold-plated, these polypropylene dialectric capacitors help preserve the integrity of the original signal.
- WBT Unbalanced (RCA) Output Connectors: Low tolerance connector made of highly ductile "OFC" copper, and 24 carat gold plated ensures a solid contact for interconnects
- Ultra Linear Capacitors in the Power Supply: Provides a pure source of DC power, and improves the frequency response of the tuner
- Kimber Hyper-Pure Copper Wiring: High grade internal wiring provides a clean, uncolored path for the signal through the audio stage of the unit.
- Burr Brown Op Amps with Black Gate Capacitors: Proven performance from industry leading suppliers with zero degradation over the long hau .
Why Analog ?
Many people question why we are one of the only companies that continue to build a truly ANALOG FM tuner and ANALOG remote control. The answer is very simple. The best SOUND can only be produced when the signal received by the tuner is tuned and maintained in the ANALOG domain. By maintaining the signal in the ANALOG domain the customer has infinite tuning across the FM band; this is achieved by the use of a knob instead of the pushbutton step function tuning offered by a digital tuner. Because of our design and manufacturing process, the front end and the IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers are precision aligned, which guarantees that all specifications are met all the time; this is not possible in a digitally tuned tuner, as they are dependent on the tolerances of the components. By calibrating and aligning the IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers we are optimizing SOUND, SENSITIVITY and SELECTIVITY.