A core member of our line-up of solid state, analog FM tuners, the MD 102 follows in the footsteps of our original flagship model, the MD 108. With its precision aligned R.F. section and the tolerance matching components in the audio section, the MD 102 is able to produce realism from a live performance that even the best CD players cannot match. Many radio stations are improving their transmission equipment, allowing you to experience FM as it was intended, with the full emotion and zeal with which the music was originally recorded. Although we produce a variety of Triode Tube FM tuners, the MD 102 is rooted in solid state fundamentals. With precision matched components throughout the device, and transistors specially selected according to our exacting specifications, you can be sure that the MD 102 is everything a high-performance audio product should be. Our design team has taken careful consideration to ensure the device has a complete grounding circuit, eliminating any unwanted signals that will interfere with the primary output. Also, we have included a zero feedback loop in the audio output stage, ensuring that the incoming waveform perfectly matches the outgoing waveform. The result is a pure, unaltered signal, and ultimately, better sound. The following is a list of primary design features:
RF & Audio Stage Dseign Featrues
- Tunable five stage ANALOG front end: Five stages of RF filtration, providing station separation without affecting stereo separation. As always, the front end is a custom designed and manufactured in-house design.
- Multiple Bandwidth Settings: The MD 102 offers both Ultra Wide and Narrow IF Bandwidth settings to produce the best SOUND where adjacent channel interference is, or is not a factor.
- Dual AGC (automatic gain control) stage: This automatic circuit design eliminates the need for a local and distant switch, altering the amount of relative gain that's added to the incoming signal.
- >Auto Blend RF Circuit: Automatically monitors and adjusts stereo separation to maximize "stereo quieting", insuring the quietest stereo signal as possible. This greatly eliminates background noise.
- Precision tunable matched IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers: ensures consistent specifications for adjacent channel separation, alternate channel separation and low distortion
- Precision Voltage Stabilizers in the Power Supply: Ensures precise tuning of the incoming RF signal
- Dual Antenna Inputs: Provides the flexibility to position different antennas in multiple locations to accommodate differing incoming signals.
- Defeatable Mute: Eliminates any interstation noise while tuning
- Analog Meters: Functional and easy-to-read multipath/signal strength measurements, showcased through an analog meter.
- Fully shielded RF section-eliminates any interference from stray signals
- .093 Thick Printed Circuit Board: A solid footing to minimizes any residual vibration in the chassis to allow all components to operate at peak performance. Further, all contact points are generously gold plated to ensure complete signal transfer over the long haul.
- Balanced Output with Gold Plated Neutrik Connectors: Fully complimentary circuit insures a perfectly balanced signal, and exact dimensions ensure maximum conductivity.
- Shielded Torroidal Transformer: Coupled with a high grade aluminum chassis, device is completely shielded from stray signals and transient noises. The high grade custom designed transformer reduces the overall noise floor of the tuner.
- WBT Unbalanced (RCA) Output Connectors: Low tolerance connector made of highly ductile "OFC" copper, and 24 carat gold plated ensures a solid contact for interconnects
- Ultra Linear Capacitors in the Power Supply: Provides a pure source of DC power, and improves the frequency response of the tuner
- Oxygen-free Wiring in the Audio Path: High grade internal wiring provides a clean, uncolored path for the signal through the audio stage of the unit.
Why Analog ?
Many people question why we are one of the only companies that continue to build a truly ANALOG FM tuner and ANALOG remote control. The answer is very simple. The best SOUND can only be produced when the signal received by the tuner is tuned and maintained in the ANALOG domain. By maintaining the signal in the ANALOG domain the customer has infinite tuning across the FM band; this is achieved by the use of a knob instead of the pushbutton step function tuning offered by a digital tuner. Because of our design and manufacturing process, the front end and the IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers are precision aligned, which guarantees that all specifications are met all the time; this is not possible in a digitally tuned tuner, as they are dependent on the tolerances of the components. By calibrating and aligning the IF (intermediate frequency) amplifiers we are optimizing SOUND, SENSITIVITY and SELECTIVITY.